Sunday 14 February 2010

Whinging about the cold

I've finally had enough of everyone whinging about not being able to train! True we've had the coldest winter I can remember, but an excuse not to train? No.
So, here's the rub; First, what's wrong with the turbo? "Boring" I agree but it's a means to an end, do swimmers moan about lengths of the same pool being boring? No they get on with it, THEY ARE TRAINING!
Anyway what stops you from riding on the road? Too cold? Get real, mountaineering in tweed jackets in the 20's was cold. With today's high tech fabrics there's no need to freeze, X-C skiers manage to survive when it's well below zero.
Ice on the roads? Back in the 80's I arrived in Brittany from a Majorcan training camp. Having put in the hard miles for three weeks I was alarmed to find the roads around our village locked in perma ice! The solution? Wellies, ski jacket and a 4 Km walk to the nearest treated road, boots and coat left in cafe whilst I rode laps of the main road. Bonus was a coffee when I finished training and nice warm boots for the walk home.
All this got me thinking, what are we out training for? does it matter where we train (So long as it's safe)? Do we need to ride a circular route? I don't believe we do. You're training for races, not cycle touring.
So when its icy I get onto the nearest treated road and ride up and down it, and if it's really too bad I hit the garage and the turbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment